Social Icons

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Review: Illamasqua Skin Base

I'm sure you've all heard of Illamasqua's Skin Base. Having tested several shades pretty thoroughly for a good while, it's high time for a review! Here’s what Illamasqua have to say:

“Inspired by the cult Asian market Beauty Balm creams, Skin Base Foundation is a brand new, refined formula unlike anything on the UK market. Easily blendable, it effortlessly creates a perfect complexion, and like the entire Illamasqua foundation range, is undetectable in a professional HD environment. Suitable for all skin types, it smoothes, softens and conditions your skin whilst providing natural, buildable coverage.”

So…basically sounds perfect, right?

Skin Base Review


This is a review I don't really want to have to write, and you can take it from that that it's not all that positive. This would be an utterly perfect foundation if it weren't for one big BUT/ I've bought a few shades of Skin Base to use in my kit, under recommendation of lots of makeup artists, bloggers and YouTubers who all sing it's praises. I'd heard that there was a learning curve with this foundation but that the results were worth it, so I bought some shades for my kit and one for myself. Please bear in mind that while all foundation reviews are very subjective and worth taking with a pinch of salt, I have tried this foundation out extensively on myself as well as on models and clients.


Let's start with the good things about this foundation, because there are actually plenty. The shade range is wonderful, so you shouldn't have too much of a  problem finding a match, with shades from white to almost ebony, and plenty of yellow, pink and neutral shades in-between. I ordered my shade using the foundation chart on the website and it was a pretty accurate match, but of course heading to a counter is still your best option. I've heard tell of plenty of people who haven't found a good match using the online system, and I've seen in person a friend who had used the online system to find a match and got a poor one then get a much better one from an Illamasqua artist on the counter. If you can't find one out their 25 shades to suit you, the colours easily mix together for custom shades, and there is a white shade which you can just pop in store and buy or order online, which is fabulous as lots of ranges either don't carry one, are a cream foundation, or are in a mail-order, pro range only.

If you're a makeup artist looking to buy for your kit, David Horne, one of the founders of Illamasqua, has suggested it's worth getting shades 01 (white), 02, 04, 06, 08, 10 and 12, but of course everyone’s needs vary. MUA forums and groups on Facebook will have tons of advice.

Skin Base Swatches

Swatches on the back of my hand of Skin Base in shades 01, 03, 04 and 06. I had another shade but lost it on a shoot. I has started to buy paler shades and then was going to buy a couple medium and a couple dark for mixing. As you can see, a little goes a long way – the lower swatch could have been blended out MUCH further. You can see from the last swatch that it’s starting to blend into the skin quite beautifully. It’s worth noting at this point that as the range has lots of undertones in it, if a shade doesn’t match you moving one or two shades up or down the range may not necessarily help you find a match.

I really like that Illamasqua put all their foundations into plastic bottles - I much prefer a squeeze tube for hygiene, and it's lighter in the kit as well. Skinbase still has the rounded-square shape present in most other Illamasqua packaging for it's lid, which is a nice little addition. It's not as luxe looking as the rest of the range, but in my opinion it doesn't need to be.

  Okay. Onto wear…

SKINBASE


This is a photo of when I tried Skin Base for literally the very first time – in direct light, in artificial lighting and with flash (It doesn’t normally look so shiny on the skin and I’ve taken flash photos wearing it where it looks a little shiny but not as much as here) No powder, concealer or primer. I wasn't overly impressed with how it looks on the skin - it didn't look patchy or anything, but it looked like foundation. Perhaps I was just expecting a lot, but looking at my camera, I really liked how it photographed. As I was after it for my kit, this seemed super promising and, excited, I got to work trying  techniques to make it look better on my skin in real life. I tried fingers and various brushes, including a buffing brush which a lot of people seem to like it with, but personally found I got best results using a damp sponge or beauty blender. Unusual for me as I hardly ever reach for a sponge, but I'll take it. This was a little annoying that I had to work out how best to apply it, but it’s certainly not the first or last foundation I’ll have to do this with!

 

25522806f3dc11e2a95722000a9f09e9_7

Another not so great photo, but I’m basically just wearing Skin Base here. I posted this on Instagram and got comments saying how lovely my skin was – and I’m telling you, it ain’t this lovely!

The foundation feels very light on the skin and I really do think the 'skin realism' claims of Illamasqua are warranted – “natural, buildable coverage” I will certainly agree with Illamasqua on. It's not dewy but not too dewy, and I’d say while light, it’s still a medium coverage, although it is buildable to an extent and can be applied very sheerly too. I like how flexible it can be. Basically, it just looks like your skin, but better. “Hurrah,” I thought! “I've cracked it! I’ve found my Holy Grail!” But now, sadly, comes the 'but.'


This foundation. Does. Not. Last. After a couple of hours, it separates pretty badly on the skin, especially anywhere even slightly oily, leaving a not-that-nice look on your face. I am a pretty dry-skinned person and don't tend to have a problem with oiliness affecting my foundations at all, but Skin Base just will not sit on me and I've tried *everything*! I know you can't expect much from lighter, foundation in terms of wear (Skin Base is based on Asian BB creams) but this is…pretty bad.


Now I've tried pretty much everything to get it to last. Everything. I absolutely love Illamasqua's Hydraveil which was created to use with Skin Base and many has said it stops it from separating, and that doesn't seem to have an affect on application. I've tried every moisturizer at my disposal to use as a base, (and I have a lot!) to prep the skin. I've tried trusted primers from Benefit, L'Oreal, Too True, and MAC, some which I know control oil really well and help to prolong wear of most foundations.  I've tried setting it with setting sprays and it seems to separate underneath those as well!  It looks really lovely powdered with Illamasqua's loose powder, which is another favourite of mine, but doesn't last so well. I have an uber long lasting powder from a stage and screen brand that helps it out a little bit, but the ultra-mattifiying it gives is really not what I'm looking to do with this foundation. I’ve tried uber-thin, uber-buffed layers, but basically, nothing I’ve tried, nothing I can think of and on no skin type I’ve come across and used it on (I’ve tried it on dry skins and oily skins, teenage models and girls in their 40’s) can I make this foundation last longer than two hours max without looking awful. I kind of don’t mind it not lasting that much – I have a few BB creams and tinted moisturizers that don’t last well and for me that’s not always a problem. If it didn’t last for two hours and just wore away, I think I could maybe handle that, but it just sticks around, looking all separate-y and rubbish. Naturally, given that it wears so poorly, I can’t really comment on whether it “smoothes, softens and conditions your skin,” but it’s at least not drying. I find all this very sad and frustrating – not being able to find a solution makes me feel a bit thick, plus I was so excited for this foundation!

On the plus side, mixing Skin Base with other liquids or creams doesn't seem to present a problem with separating, which is great, especially as that's what I bought the white shade for! I think I'll probably use my existing bottles to sheer out my cream foundations and concealers, perhaps for use on the body. I don't like to waste product if I can help it and I’m pleased that I can at least use the shades I’ve got. If I can recommend one shade of Skin Base the white one is still worth your cash!


I really hate to write this post as it does look very beautiful, and I know so many other people love it. But I've tested it as extensively as I can, and without sounding up my own arse, I'm pretty good with the ol' makeup. So if you know a way to magically make this stay put, please, please tell me as I'd love to love this foundation! And of course, for every negative review of this foundation I’ve read (and I’m always sceptical of website reviews – just because the SA matched you wrong doesn’t make the foundation itself crap, people!) I’ve read ten positive, raving, head-over-heels review, and I’ve heard other bloggers and MUAs I know and trust have issues with it that I don’t find at all. So if you’re near a counter, try it out. Who knows, it might be lovely on you!


Illamasqua Skin Base comes in 25 shades plus an illuminating shade, and costs £27.00. If you’re confident of your shade match, Illamasqua also do a web exclusive bundle where you can buy Skin Base, Skin Lift and Hyraveil for £50 which is a really decent saving,

19 comments:

  1. I agree completely, sadly. I do love Skin Base. I've got a pretty damn good match with the #2 (albeit slightly yellow) and love the way it makes my skin look. But I have dry skin too, and by the end of the day, it's separated and not nice looking. I find I'm only using it on the days I don't need to wear it for all day. I'm disappointed that my brief love affair with it ended all too quickly :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there's a clue in the words; "undetectable in a professional HD environment"? Like, 2 hours would last through a photoshoot. So, not for the real world, then. Shame. Foundation is my Holy Grail so I guess you saved me trying this one out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, but sometimes I need to shoot for longer than that and that's not good. Like, I will still use it for shoots if I KNOW it's going to be short, but I need something I can reach for no matter what :(

      Delete
  3. I had 2 issues with this, which made me really sad. One: it didn't wear well. I'd say 4-5 hours, not 2, but when you do 10-hours days in an office, you need your foundation to last. Two: it broke me out, which rarely happens for me. I left it aside and tried again, broke out again. SO I had to give up.
    I'm sad because although it did look like foundation and not like naked skin, it was indeed beautiful on pics and it had great coverage when you needed it. I'd still use it on jobs, just like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that's awful! I've not noticed that but then to be fair I've not worn it for long periods!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, for that..., i won't be buying, thought it was the holy grail..☹..what would you recommend, any thoughts...

      Delete
    3. It depends what you're looking for and what your skin type is. My absolute favourite foundations are pro cream foundations like Kryolan Ultra because they're so adjustable, but on the high street/counters at the moment I like L'Oreal Infallible 24hr for medium-high coverage and MAC Face and Body for a lighter coverage. Neither dry out my skin and both last really well.

      Delete
  4. I've also been having problems with Skin Base. For me, it's quite pain in the ass to apply (it takes quite a while to get it done evenly) + it doesn't last. :( But it's good for mixing, so it's good for something at least.
    And the funny thing is that, although the foundation doesn't last it's still quite hard to wash off your face... I really hope that Illamasqua comes up with a matte foundation that has the same shade range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed that as I tend to use micellar waters and they seem to cope with *anything* on my skin but maybe I need to try it with something else, it would make sense that it doesn't remove easily given how it stick around on the face!

      Delete
  5. I love a good thorough review. I've not tried anything from illa, believe it or not, but I was tempted by this when hunting for some foundation - I can't remember what put me off. I'm glad I didn't. My biggest fear is my face falling off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely don't let that put you off any of thier other stuff, they do have some really lovely products!

      Delete
  6. I never got on with the rich and light liquid foundations from Illamasqua because of them being a pain to blend, so I didn't bother with skinbase - quite glad I didn't after seeing your review and the other comments!
    I do really want to try the hydraveil though.
    Also please can you tell me what lip product you used in the pictures with the red lip? It looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hydraveil is pretty cool! And I *think* the lip was the red Velvetine from Line Crime.

      Delete
  7. I've been debating buying the velvetines for ages, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good, but if cash is an issue wait for the MUA dupes to come out - I think they're due October!

      Delete
  8. I do find that MUA seperate on your lips and god forbid you put it on a client - you will get a call back lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I sheer out Illamsqua SB with Nars Orgasm illuminator and it looks great on a lot of skin types. I do like this foundation only if used this way. Also if used on slightly wrinkled skin you do have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always got on with skin base but recently noticing the oiliness.. especially on the T-zone, it is producing an overly dewy look as the day goes on. If anyone can recommend a longer lasting more matte finish for my kit I will be grateful

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Got a question? Catch me on Instagram @staybeautifulmakeup or on Twitter @robynheartsslap